Author Topic: New Title for Joels use  (Read 4435 times)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
New Title for Joels use
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
Kant Spell Kumputer but after today Joel, you can call me Dr. Ron. Today I will be the guest lecturer at UNO (one of the top universities offering Naval Architect and Marine Engineering Degrees) The president of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers was a MasterCraft Intern who heard stories of me from the older M/C people. He invited me to come and speak about American SKier, and how I developed various products and overcome obstacles.

Offline chrisheile

Re: New Title for Joels use
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
WoW!! congrats. Doctor Tanis.
2002 American Sker Pro

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
That would be interesting to say the least. Can I sit in and listen?

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 2008 Moomba Outback DD
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
Yeah, really cool. You should have the session recorded.

Offline Joel

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
OMG!!!!  Theres no living with him... I mean...  DOCTOR   ;D   Did they give you an Honorary PHD???   You know...  Piled Higher & Deeper (PHD)    :o

Sounds like it would be an interesting class as compared to thier standard Steel & Aluminum Ship building topics!   I'm sure you had fun with it    ;D
Joel - Columbus, OH - 1991 Advance

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »
"The rest of the story" The lecture went well, more students than expected plus several professors. Apparently 99.9% of the instruction there is about steel & aluminum boat building (really ship building) The best part was the fact that my oldest son is in this program & didn't know anything about the invitation, after thinking about it Susan & I decided that I should tell him the old man was going to be speaking to his class so he wouldn't fall out of his chair when I walked in. I told him I would do my best not to embarrass him. (I lied) The last question they had prepared for me to address was " what kind of job future is there for Marine Engineers in the recreational boat building segment" the picture my wife put into the slide show for this was not what Steven was expecting....but for dad it was priceless Susan added the caption below the picture "Future UNO Naval Architect and Marine Engineer in training"

Offline MIskier

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Ron,

Thanks again so much for coming in and speaking, all of the students really enjoyed hearing what you had to say! We had our first e-boat meeting today to start thinking about new hull designs so I'm sure Chris or I will be calling to pick your brain in the near future for any ideas you may have.

Thanks,

Matt