Author Topic: Engine cover cup holder insert for 1989 Advance  (Read 6412 times)

Offline art

Engine cover cup holder insert for 1989 Advance
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:47:59 AM »
From looking at some photos of other 1989 Advances, it looks like there should be a cup holder insert of some kind on the rear side of my engine cover that is missing.  Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get something like that to replace it or is this something I'm just going to have to live without?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
Re: Engine cover cup holder insert for 1989 Advance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
Not all of them came with that option. Thats why you probly dont have one. If you dont see a opening in the cover from the bottom, it was never there.

Offline art

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:24 AM »
There is the flat spot on the rear of the engine cover that looks like the cup holder would go there, and a couple of small holes in the engine cover there as well that look like where it might fasten into place.

Pelvic Woo has a nice shot of his (her's?  can't tell which one is Woo) boat in the gallery here (the most recent shot on page 1) where you can see the engine cover and the cupholder - mine looks like the cup holder insert would go right in there like Woo's, but as you note, it simply may not have come with one.

Obviously not a major issue, just something to obsess on until I can get out on the boat on Friday for some fun....

thanks.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
Easy enough to install I would think, if you can find or make one!

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »
The clamshell motor box originally had a black plexi-glass dual cup-holder, they were prone to breaking, then we added a center support to reinforce them & that worked pretty well. 1991-95 Wesmar years may or may not have had the cup-holder installed from the factory. If I had to make another it would be from 4" x .25" Alum. flat bar stock. I've done it before its not that hard to do.

Offline art

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
Hello Ron-
I'm a bean counter, not a fabricator, so I'm not likely to get one of these unless you make it or direct me to someone who could.  If you have the time, ability and the cost isn't too excessive, I'd love to have the part, but it's also not going to diminish my enjoyment of the boat in any way if I don't get it, so I don't want you to waste your time either if it's not worth it.  Let me know.

Also, please add me to the list for the slalom girl decal and the throttle knob with the slalom girl logo when those are available.

Mine also came with a pretty cool key with the logo of the boat from the side embossed on it - even the kid at the gas pump complimented me on that (and the boat - I've been surprised by the number of compliments - mine is a 1989 and is kept on a lake with a lot of other inboards - and it still gets noticed and complimented).  If you have any decals or materials with that logo, I'd be interested in those as well.
Thanks,
Art

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 2008 Moomba Outback DD
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:50:11 AM »
I love it when I get compliments on the boat... When you own one of these you get respect. Quality classic ski boat like no other.

Offline art

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »
You'll get a kick out of this Phil - even the old(er) gal next door, who has to be mid 60ish, maybe even 70s, complimented me on it and told me she liked the classic lines and look of the boat.

She also told me her family used to have an old wooden American Skier, which based on the history you've shared had to have been a Correct Craft.

The other compliment I've heard at least 3 times now is surprise that the boat is as old as an '89.  I'm a little biased as I've wanted an inboard ski boat since about the age of 9 and the late 1980's were when I was in high school and probably the most obsessed, but I think that mid to late 80's vintage is tough to beat when you describe it as an American classic (there's some 'middle age' talking there....).

Before buying the boat, the uneducated me probably would've told you a nautique or mastercraft would've been my first choice, but I totally feel like I lucked out stumbling upon the American Skier.

Ron should buy back those old molds that are overgrown with weeds down in LA and start up production again!

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
if you have a clamshell box and there are a few vacant screw holes you probably had one, if not you didn't

the plexi broke because people sitting in the back while the driver whipped them around needed an OSH
so they grabbed the drink holder
aluminum flat stock would be the toughest
but the nicest is made from teak wood
you can make a cardboard pattern and have a wood guy make you something easy enough

good luck

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor