Author Topic: Memberlist Enhancement  (Read 14247 times)

Offline Rodneyls

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1980 American Skier
Memberlist Enhancement
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
How about including a slot for the American Skier boat you own? Include year, model etc. Also if people are up for it, list the state you reside. It would be neat to see all the boats listed. Then you get a feel for those on the east coast and those on the west coast like myself. And maybe reunions for the west and east coasts! Just an idea.

Thanks,
Rod

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Memberlist Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 07:14:24 AM »
Rod,
You can modify your profile to put in the make/model of your boat in. There is a place for that already.. Phil will have to get back to you on the rest of your request.
As for the reunion, check out the reunion thread that is posted on here elsewhere. There was a first year reunion organized last year in TN at Buchanan Resort. It wasn't huge but itwas successful. The second annual reunion is coming up in a couple weeks at the same place. It was decided that it would stay at Buchanan's for a couple years to get bigger and better.
If the interest is there for something closer to you, by all means feel free to organize it. You never know where it might lead to. I think that would be awesome to see multiple reunions morph off of this one.

I have been active at Correctcraftfan.com for several years and exactly the same happened there. A few guys decided to organize a reunion on a whim that turned into a huge annual thing and several others have spawned off of that original one all over the country.

All it takes is a little effort and a gathering place to start. I've been to several CCFan reunions and I can tell you from experience that I have met some life long friends from them as well as gained huge amounts of knowledge. That's a pretty profound statement seeing as I don't own a Correct Craft!!!!! I am attending my first AmSkier reunion this year and I fully expect the same results if not even more so. I'm very much looking forward to it.

When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Rodneyls

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
Thanks backfoot100. Once I get my boat back in the water and using it, I might look into one on the west coast maybe for next year. What I was mentioning earlier is a column in the membership list to enter your boat year and model (and make if not AM) along with your state. So when you look at the membership list, you can easily see who owns what and what region they live in. Most of the columns are MSN, AIM, YIM, etc. It would be a quick way to scan all members with boats.

Thanks,
Rod

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
Gotcha. Now I understand what you're looking for. Phil will have to comment on that request.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 2008 Moomba Outback DD
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
I can create something to present users location along with boat make and model. However, I'm not sure what's all entailed in getting it to display on the "memberlist".. I'll look into it..

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
Phil, how about a picture of a map..... and everyone can have a "dot or star" on the map where they live, once you scroll over it it gives the information that was requested per person?

Dont be afraid to tell me Heck no! Im lucky I can figure out how to post here much less think that I might know something about computers.

Offline Rodneyls

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
Thanks Phil, much appreciated!

Rod

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
I like the map idea.. I think I'm going to go that route. Stay tuned..

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
The map feature is almost done. I Need another day or two but we're running up against the reunion clock.. If I don't roll it out before we leave for TN then it will be available on the site shortly after I return.

Essentially, I've integrated google maps onto this site using their API. All the code is written I just need to work on the aesthetics.  When you look at the map there will be a "marker"  placed for every member who submits a form to populate the data. The markers will be placed via your zip code along with your city and then a description field for your boat(optional). It will be trivial to look at a map and get an idea of where all the members are located. I think you guys will like it.

Offline Joel

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
Very cool..   You never know - you could be minutes away from another member that you've met on here and never know it.
Joel - Columbus, OH - 1991 Advance

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
This sounds awesome. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:19:17 AM »
The feature can be found on the Home Page (amskierboats.com) in the left menu titled "Member Map".  I'm still working on a few formatting/cosmetic issues but the map should be fully functioning. In order to get your "marker" on the map simply submit the form.  Please let me know if you run into any bugs.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 04:32:40 AM »
Dont know if its a "bug" or if you just have not installed it yet, but my location and boat make show up and my name does not.

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:12:53 AM »
If you "hover" over the marker with your mouse it will show up, if you click on it, then it shows the boat make. Maybe all the data should be displayed once you click on it?

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 06:14:18 AM »
But maybe I should make it so you can also upload a picture of your boat that get's displayed along with your boat make/model info... OK, I'll make that for release 2.0 :)