Author Topic: carburetor size  (Read 10734 times)

Offline jason

carburetor size
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
I have a 1985 advance with a 350 Chevy pleasure craft . I would like to know what carburetor was on this motor from the factory. I believe it was a holly 4160, but after looking at the pleasure craft service manual there seems to be 5 different models of the 4160. Any input  about the carburetor would be great .Thanks

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
Re: carburetor size
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
yes 4160
good it was a 4160 600cfm vacuum secondaries
electric choke
is your carb missing, been replaced, why are you asking?

need more info call me

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor

Offline jason

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:34:20 AM »
Hey Dan, thanks for you reply . The carb has been replaced and rebuilt and always seems to run rich even when you adjust the mixture and has been running rough ever since. The reason i ask is , the 5 carbs pleasure craft lists  are all 4160s but all have different jet sizes.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
Jason,
As long as it's a 600CFM 4160 it should be fine. It is a marine version correct and not automotive?

These carbs are generally bolt on and go. The jets are actually pretty good from the factory as long as you have the right CFM on the right size engine. Just making some minor mixture, idle, accelerator pump and choke settings should get you where you need to be.
How are you determining it's running rich? Is it the factory intake or has that been changed? Have you made sure there are no vacuum leaks? If the carb was rebuilt, has anything been changed in it like the power valve or jets? When was a good tune up done on the engine (plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor, timing)?
I don't mean to sound elementary, but rough running could be something other than the carb too.
Dan is definitely one to talk to. He can help you out.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »
One reason I dont like the Holley personally, if you get a pretty good sneeze (backfire through the carb) the power valve will blow out of them.

Ive seen it happen many many times. Now you usually only see this when a motor is out of time but it happens.

Offline amerskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier/advance/1989
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
If it is actually carb related, being that you stated it had been rebuilt make sure you check the float level for proper adjustment. To high of an adjustment will cause a Holley to run rich and rough.
Cory
89 Advance

Offline RookieRecurve

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
yes 4160
good it was a 4160 600cfm vacuum secondaries
electric choke
is your carb missing, been replaced, why are you asking?

need more info call me

Dan T

Dan, are you still selling parts?  I notice the website is "under construction" still.

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:41:54 AM »
Send me an email or call I'm around

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor

Offline CPTHack

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1987
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »
I need to do something with my '87 Advance with Chevy 350 and Holly 4160 carburetor - it smokes a lot.  I adjusted the idle mixture screws to 2.5 turns out so it doesn't smoke as bad at idle, but underway it still smokes like crazy.  I friend told me my floats may not be working correctly, but my carb doesn't have the screws to remove and check fuel level. When I looked at new Marine 4160s online it looks like none of them have them - is that a "feature" of a marine version?

What can I adjust to fix this rich condition? 
It runs great but I think it could run even better and use less fuel.

Thanks,

- CJ

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:44 PM »
Marine carbs don't have externally adjustable floats (which include the float bowl sight window). You can buy some aftermarket marine carbs that do but if it's a factory marine carb, it won't.

2.5 turns out on the idle mixture screws is actually on the rich side. They should be closer to 1-1.5 turns but that's just the idle mixture.

If it's running that rich the floats may be saturated or need adjustment, the needle/seats could be dirty or the power valve could be blown. I would start with a good rebuild and cleaning.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline CPTHack

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »
After more internet research I switched to 1.25 turns and adjusted the idle speed.  Warm starts are much easier and exhaust smoke looks a lot more reasonable. No real side effect as long as I don't whip the throttle wide open. It will cough when I do that, so I must open it up a little slower to get a skier up.

I checked for slack in that lower pumper linkage and it seems tight already - should I over adjust it?
I'm not sure when the carb was last rebuilt but this is my fourth summer with the boat so it's been at least that long. I'm thinking about getting a rebuilt Marine 80551 from National Carburetor. It has adjustable floats and sights. It does appear that the fuel line will have to come in at a different angle - that will be bothersome.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
Get it on water and warmed up. Adjust the idle mixture to the highest RPM or vacuum (if using a gauge) while in gear and idling. The engine should be loaded when making that adjustment.  It may help the off idle stumble too.
As long as the accelerator pump arm doesn't have slop you're fine. If you move the throttle even the slightest amount you should see some fuel come out the pump nozzles.

Offline CPTHack

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:33 PM »
I installed the rebuilt Marine 80551 from National Carburetor two weeks ago.  I set the idle mixture to 1.5 turns because I really didn't see much of a change in RPM no matter how much I screwed them in or out.  Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough, but my assumption was that I could hear a change in RPM almost simultaneously as the screws are turned - is that true? 

Either way, I'm very happy with the carb.  It still smokes a bit more at wake surfing speeds than I'd like, but now I have no trouble starting when cold or hot. It's really nice to be able to just crack the key hear it purr. 

My only real concern is I don't think the secondaries ever open up.  It felt a bit sluggish when pulling a skier out of the water, so I took the cover off and watched the linkage - it never moved.  When I would force it by hand it made an obvious difference in power. It's supposed to be 600 CFM but how easy is it for that to be off?  Could my old '87 Chevy 350 not really be pulling to that 600 CFM stat?

Thanks,

- CJ

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »
Try turning in one idle mixture screw at a time. When it bottoms out the motor will die or come very close to dying. Then back it out to highest idle RPM. Then do the same on the other one. You may have to do that process a few times to get it dialed in but you have the idea. By the time you're done it should be very close to that 1-1.5 turns out on each screw and both should be about the same. Do that on the water, warmed up and idling in gear.

The secondaries will not open up until until two things happen. First the throttle needs to be at or very close to full throttle. The secondary linkage is designed such that the primary throttle prevents the secondaries from opening until the primaries are open far enough themselves. Secondly, when the engine vacuum sees the need for the secondaries to open is when that happens. That's normally someplace close to 40MPH. 36MPH slalom passes should still be only into the primaries.

Offline CPTHack

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 07:07:59 PM »
I still don't know that my idle mixture is good, but it seems to not be a sensitive adjustment which means being off a little is still okay. 

I did solve the secondary issue though.  I took the diaphragm assembly off (after removing the choke assy) and found that the port to allow the vacuum to enter was plugged by a mis-aligned gasket.  Not what I would expect from a newly refurbished carb, but it is what it is.  I put the ring shaped gasket on correctly and gave it a test drive.  I could feel the difference instantly and could hear the secondary diaphragm close at about 35 MPH.  The boat tops out at 40MPH and 4200RPM.

Happy again,
- CJ