Author Topic: 85 Advance Swim Step Problem  (Read 4184 times)

Offline derickncasi

85 Advance Swim Step Problem
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
I have an Advance that I purchased about a year ago. Haven't had any problems with the boat (other than no storage and a little small) until yesterday.

Yesterday my friend and I were both sitting on the swim platform with the boat in the water. Probably not smart I know. Anyway, it pulled the top lag bolts for the swim platform brackets out of the boat. The bolts weren't stainless and had rusted over the years.

My questions are:
How do I get to that part on the inside of the boat without removing all the floors?
What is under there, just foam?
How do I fix this problem?

I went and bought new stainless lag bolts that were a little larger in diameter and 1/2" longer. The bottom ones seem to hold fine, but the top ones don't hold at all. Should I even try and get in there or can I use longer/larger diameter bolts?

Thanks in advance,

Derick

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: 85 Advance Swim Step Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
Derick welcome aboard, this is a common issue with the older boats. The repair procedure is to remove the fuel tank, cut the floor where the bracket bolts come through (under the floor) (approx. 10 x 10 hole) you will find that the reinforcing plywood glassed to the inside of the transom has rotted away. This should be cut out, repaired, now through bolted. The large access hole needs to be glassed to keep water from entering the foam. Sounds easy enough....what you may find is saturated foam, some are  still dry. You will most likely find dried out vent hoses, now is the time to replace them, you fuel hoses will probably be hard as well & should be replaced with the new E-10 compatible hoses anyway. Pics are available for all of this.

Offline derickncasi

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Ron. Are the pictures posted here on the site somewhere? Is reglassing the access hole something that someone with little fiberglass experience should attempt? I assume I could just replace the piece I cut out and patch it in with new glass?

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »
If there are no pics in the gallery i can send some, just PM me at my A-S email: Ron@ RonTanis.com The method of repair is usually one within your comfort level, I reglass with high density foam core & then add aluminium backer plates, others use just large aluminum plates, some have even welded stainless nuts to stainless plates. One thing to keep in mind, the top bolts must not protrude into the tank area, had a boat in here a few years ago where the guy did a good job of making the repair then used bolts that were too long (upper bolts) and the plastic tank wore holes through from the bolts.