Author Topic: Boat wont start sometimes  (Read 6320 times)

Offline Gonzo

• Global Moderator
    • Gonzo2536
Boat wont start sometimes
« on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
When I turn the key it just makes a click sound and nothing. Do that a couple of times then it will start. this does not always happen though. I was told it could be the solenoid but not sure. I just bought a brand new battery this year so I am ruling that out. Any suggestions???

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Boat wont start sometimes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Yes I would say the starter relay (solenoid).
A Ford you can just replace the relay. Probably up near the ue terminal block on the rear of the engine. A Chevy has it on the starter and requires starter disassembly. Most decide to have the starter rebuilt who which should include a new relay. I've had really bad luck with rebuilt starters and end up buying new with much better results.
The quality of the relays has been significantly degraded in recent years. Try and get one that is made in the US and not China although that may even be somewhat questionable and difficult to find.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Gonzo

• Global Moderator
    • Gonzo2536
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
I have the ford engine and I will start with replacing the relay. Thanks!!

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:51 AM »
Just curious, what type battery did you buy? Hopefully not a marine deep cycle. You should be using a standard starting battery.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »
A couple additional thoughts:
Double check ALL battery cables, both red & black for good connections, ground cable to block typically gets forgotten about
OEM wiring on the Ford does have a remote relay/solenoid & if equipped is the likely culprit
Replacement permanent magnet starters for Ford & GM have the relay/solenoid mounted on the starter, and the OEM relay should be by-passed to eliminate double troubles. The new style starters have notoriously poor solenoid contacts inside.     

Offline Gonzo

• Global Moderator
    • Gonzo2536
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
I have  a Napa Legend battery, It's not a deep cycle. I checked the battery connections and those are good for sore sure. I was messing with the boat yesterday and it was starting fine. I will check some more wires and then see what happens, Then try and replace the relay.