Author Topic: Ford winterizing reminder  (Read 5889 times)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Ford winterizing reminder
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
Something that is not in the books but very important especially on Fords, after draining the block, lower the front of the boat as low as possible to help drain the engine. A car/truck engine sits pretty level & this is not an issue for them, but in our boats the 12+ degree angle holds water in the back of the block unless tilted down to erase the 12 deg. On Fords the block drains are off-set, the port side is in the back of the block & is not an issue, but the starboard side is in the front of the block and will trap alot of water behind the drain. GM are centered in the block.
FYI just found some higher quality ALL BRASS drain plugs that can be used on the block drains, just replaced the plugs with drains on my Legend this afternoon, will put these on the Parts Web site monday.

Offline Jerry Plude

• Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Advance 1988
Re: Ford winterizing reminder
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Ron, I drained both sides of the block but then added 5 gal. of anti freeze while engine was running.  Should this be ok?  (Indiana Winters)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:21 AM »
If in an unheated Indiana barn your likely to see numerous "hard freeze" days exceeding 48 hrs in duration. This will damage Blocks, & exh. manifolds if "standing water" is allowed to remain in the cavity. Running your boat on anti freeze solution only works if you have the t-stat open and the engine is running at normal temps. The key is still to drain the engine after you have run it. The biggest advantage to using antifreeze is IF the antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it, they will help protect the iron. I have a copy of the American Skier winterizing procedures if you want, just send an email & I will forward it.  Ron@RonTanis.com

Offline JBBBM

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1993 AMERICAN SKIER
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
Hi Ron, can you forward me American Skier winterizing procedures. michaudbldg@yahoo.com. Thanks

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
http://rontanis.com/winterizing-your-american-skier/

this is the link to the instructions found at the RonTanis.com DIY column