Author Topic: 1979 Ford Commander w/ Holley Carb  (Read 6743 times)

Offline amski79

1979 Ford Commander w/ Holley Carb
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
Hello all - Had this boat in the family since new, but new to me for keeping her running and maintained. Ron and Dan have helped with quite a few things recently, so wanted to put this out to all in case they are getting tired of me!:)

I thought we may have replaced the carb over the years, but I'm guessing it's not likely considering the research I have done. The stamp on the butterfly housing indicates it was specific carb made by Holley for Ford Commander conversions. Obviously, they don't make this exact carb anymore and I suspect they have not for well over 30+ years. No exact rebuild kit is still made for it, but Holley said they have kits that have almost everything needed for my carb. I got the one they recommended, but am feeling a little overwhelmed at the prospect of the work and knowledge involved. I have recently replaced the original distributor with a Pertronix marine Flamethrower, and have dealt with the resistor wire/ coil issue. The below likely carb issues were present before and after that change.

Here's my issue... I am having problems popping up that lead me to believe the carb needs some work - inconsistent starting, poor hot starting (floats stuck causing flooding?), hesitation when aggressively pulling someone up and not when you ease into the throttle (accelerator pump issues), and a random issue that seems to be due to the vent house out the back of the metering plate (small amount of oil/ fuel mixture accumulating in the external recess of the block right under the hose). She runs great at speed always... I would like to know if it's a good idea to just get a new carb (seems like $500+) or can I take the carb off and send it to someone who knows what they are doing to have it rebuilt/ tuned? Is it reasonable to expect to ship a carb somewhere and have it serviced and get it back and have the boat run great without having it serviced with the engine it's meant for? Is this a much cheaper option? I just don't trust anyone in my area to have the knowledge needed to do it right... Thanks for the help!

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: 1979 Ford Commander w/ Holley Carb
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
Where are you located at?

My first thought would be that a rebuild certainly wouldn't hurt. It sounds as though a few simple tweaks could probably fix your issues but I would start with a rebuild seeing as it's probably been a while since it's been done (if ever). I assume from your post that you have less then adequate mechanical skills and/or knowledge (no disrespect intended). You could still have an issue if you send it out to be done and then try and install it yourself. There's still some tweaks that have to be done after you install it. If the floats are off after the rebuild and need to be reset (not often but it does happen with the way these engines are tilted back like they are) then the bowl has to come off to readjust that. Not hard but can be messy and time consuming if you aren't familiar with it.

A rebuild really isn't that difficult and there are several good videos online on how to do it or go buy yourself a book and read it. I have seen several that have excellent step by step instructions included in them.

A new carb is probably the easiest thing to do but certainly not the cheapest. Then you still will probably have some tweaks that need to be done to make sure it's good to go. Nothing hard by any means but probably necessary. Then again, I've heard of lots of instances where guys have literally bolted it on and not had to touch it.
If you do go new, I would highly suggest a Quick Fuel Technology M-600 carb. It's a Holley design but has really neat features that makes it easily adjustable without having to remove anything, like externally adjustable floats and secondary opening rate. They also come standard with billet metering blocks and throttle bodies. The M-600 would be a standard marine 600CFM unit that should easily bolt in place of your Holley. The only thing that might be needed is redoing the fuel inlet but I'm pretty sure it should be the same as the Holley.
I've found them about $50 cheaper than brand new Holleys too. I know several guys that have installed them and every single one of them say they'll probably never buy another Holley. If I was to have to buy a new carb, it would definitely be a QFT.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline MaxA

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 85 Volante
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:20:43 PM »
Check out national carburetor out of jacksonville florida.  I got a rebuilt carb shipped right to me for 200$,  and it works perfect.  I got a 600cfm,  electric choke,  marine carburetor.  It was easy to install, and works perfect.  Once i got the new carb, i sold the old one on eBay for 60$.  So in the end i only payed 140.

Offline MaxA

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 85 Volante
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 05:30:47 PM »
One other thing.  Once you turn off the engine, check the throat of the secondaries, and see if they are dripping fuel.  This can cause a hard-start.  If the secondaries are dripping, you need to clean the needle and seat in the bowl, or possibly adjust or replace the float.  A new needle and seat you can get for only 9$ at your local speed shop. 

Offline amski79

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
I'm in Northern California and while I probably could handle a rebuild process if I was really motivated and had the time, but am not there on the commitment or time level yet. Anyone else have any ideas on the new vs. rebuild approach, and if there is anyone closer than Florida to possibly do it? Although if it gets shipped somehwere, it probably won't matter much on where it goes once it goes a state or more away. Appreciate the input and help so far. Doing a little more research online on replacement carbs at the moment, but am still very interested in the rebuild approach if it's gonna be a lot cheaper and viable.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 04:53:46 AM »
It will most certainly be cheaper if there is no issues other than replacement items. Wish I could help you with a rebuild/refurbish shop but I don't know. I do my own work.

My boat came to me (not stock) with an Edelbrock carb. I personally like an Edelbrock more than a Holley so I stuck with it when I needed to purchase new due to severe pitting in the bowl areas.

I cant speak for Holley, but a new in the box marine edlebrock 1409 carb can be found for $300 or less on ebay. I think I ended up paying in the $250 range for mine.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
Sometimes you just have to ask for help, and possibly have to pay for it. Look for a local friend, or shop, speed shops can be helpful in finding someone who knows old carbs. Modern mechanics can't adjust float levels or choke pull offs from their laptops. In my shop I would recommend a complete fuel system overhaul, filters, hoses, anti-siphon valve, carb rebuild. All are ready by now to be addressed.