Author Topic: TVA & Boone Lake  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Mason

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 Volante
TVA & Boone Lake
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »
Greetings to everyone with spring fever!

Recently we received word from Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) who operates lakes and dams throughout the Southeast US that has saddened my family and out neighbors.  Boone Lake will not exist this year and my not for many more to come.  While conducting annual testing this past fall a sinkhole and silt erosion was found at Boone Dam.  The extent of the damage and the repairs required to return the lake to full pool are unknown. 

http://www.timesnews.net/article/9085469/boone-will-remain-low-for-a-year-or-more-tva-work-to-fix-seepage-issue-at-dam-set-to-begin-in-spring

http://www.wjhl.com/story/28366837/no-other-details-released-at-tva-open-house-concerning-boone-dam?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=11220231

I understand that most forum members will not care to read into this but please take into consideration how a similar situation might affect you.  I understand these events are somewhat common.

Property values have already took a plunge and the local counties will not adjust taxes accordingly. 
countless boats are hanging on lifts or even sitting on the lake bed in areas where retrieving them is impossible. 
Of the7 full service marinas on the lake only four have any docks floating.  These four only have a small percentage of slips still afloat and only two currently have gas pumps floating. 

There is only one public boat ramp and it was closed for about a month when a large houseboat broke apart on it.  The steep ramp crushed the boat and it had to be totally demoed on site.   

As disappointed as I am to have to look at mud for a year or longer, I am thrilled to have my American Skier and a jon boat safely on trailers and in the barn.

If you are in the market for a new boat there are some motivated sellers in the tri-cities TN area!!!  What would you do in this situation?     
Nathan Penley

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: TVA & Boone Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
I feel for you brother, I have experienced this when living in Florida, and having dealers selling our boats around the country, most have experienced some sort of natural disaster that causes hick-ups in our plans. Some have flooding that knocks out lake homes/boats, others drought, and others have faced hurricanes.  Thankfully you have your boat on its trailer! I would suggest a few long weekend road trips, or a week trip, nothing beats a great ski week with the family! (trick to this is a well prepared trailer to avoid breakdowns)

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
My res. has an issue with the dam settling more than expeted. missed a information meeting last night, but they have talked about keeping water level low ( poss. making for 1/2 water surface ) rebuilding dam, with the possabilty of increasing the height, or try to repair dam. All could mean lake closed a couple of years. At least there are other lakes close by, but I would sure miss my lake. Oh by the way dam is only 20 yrs old.

Offline Mason

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 Volante
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:36:58 AM »
Well the Boone Lake drawdown has been advantageous so far. 

We bought our dream house on the lake in June 2015 and feel that we got a great price.  Now we have 5 to 7 years to update / renovate the house before the water level returns to full pool.  I did not have my boat in the water in 2015 but had a few pulls from friends.  Boat traffic was minimal and glassy water was the norm.  I have been spending way too much time and money working on the house and am looking forward to the fun projects like building a floating dock with lift and a launch ramp. 

On the bright side we have a great sandy beach for my daughter to play in.     
Nathan Penley