Author Topic: Post-Used Boat Purchase Advice  (Read 5931 times)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Post-Used Boat Purchase Advice
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
You have just bought your dream boat and want to start using it, great, start using it and begin making mental or written notes on issues that need to be addressed. If you got service records & receipts for work done your doing great. Most don't so assume it needs the following:
1) Legal requirements, check horn, lights, fire ext. paperwork, (tickets are expensive)
2) Engine: change oil, filter, trans oil, fuel filter, pump impeller
3) Drive: Check prop for bent blades, check strut bearing wear, do a PROPER shaft alignment (annual task) 
4) Trailer: inspect tires, lift wheels & spin wheels listening for bearing noise, or simply service the bearings, service brakes, adj.

Boats that are regularly maintained this list can be accomplished pretty quick, for boats that have been neglected this checklist can take several hours, or days. The goal is to have a dependable ski boat!

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
Re: Post-Used Boat Purchase Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »
I like to remove wheel bearing caps / bearing buddy & ck. for water in grease. If you trailer any distance it can destroy bearings, spindle pretty quick.
Had a leak in 1 of my hubs, after many wheel seals, bearing buddy reseal I saw the hole in grease zerk was not closing. Replaced zerk & it was fixed.

Addition to #4 ck. trailer lights.

Offline wettrthebetter

• Boat Make/Model/Year: AMERICAN SKIER, ADVANCE, 1991
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:42:26 PM »

I have a Question about one of the Legal requirements for a boat.

I have  a Flat bottom V-Drive Drag boat with no Horn, What I use is a Whistle.
I have never been asked if There is horn on the boat.
Thank you, Paul

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:11:40 AM »
Check the state regs. I've been stopped in FL and WI and had a safety check and the officer(s) specifically said horn, whistle or anything else that makes noise.
I've heard horns that you could barely hear a sound out of that were still considered legal.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.