Author Topic: 78 AS turning over slow and not starting  (Read 5699 times)

Offline KEVN

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 78 American Skier
78 AS turning over slow and not starting
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
I have anew issue with my boat starting. It will slowly turn over and not turn over fast enough to start. The Neg cable is getting really hot to the touch when the engine is turning over. I've tried 2 marine batteries and my truck battery and it doesn't make a difference. I've checed the pos and neg cables and seem tight. The Pos cable goes to a solenoid I think before going to the starter. Anyone know what to check next? Pic included of where the pos cable comes in from the battery.

Offline KEVN

Re: 78 AS turning over slow and not starting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
I had the battery tested one more time and it passed and had 78% charge after trying a few more times. I am hoping it is the cables that are bad and that is my next item to tackle. I have replaced the negative cable and it seems to have gotten a little stronger. Going to replace the positive cable in a couple of hours and give it another try.

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 07:19:03 AM »
Sounds like high starter amp draw if cable getting hot. Double check battery cable connections for corrosion, but I think problem is in starter.  Most parts stores can ck. starter if you bring it into them.

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:29:17 AM »
Other fault could be internal engine problem causing engine to be hard to turn over. You can check by hand if you can get a socket on crank pulley bolt.
Hopefully just a starter.

Offline KEVN

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I got both cables replaced yesterday and it finally got it to start. After it started and ran for a few minutes, I tried a couple times and it started right up. I am going to try again today and see how hard it is to start. If there is still hesitation, I will take the starter off and have it tested.

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
Kevin you have an old boat with (had) old battery cables - as wire ages - it may tarnish - which will increase resistance which will decrease voltage at the starter which will increase the load on the battery / and cable which will create heat which will increase the resistance in the battery cable and ever other component in the circuit and decrease the voltage and so on and so on until something fails

so by replacing the battery cables - you have eliminated the resistance in the cable due  to age / tarnish
next 2 problem areas to surface sooner or later will be the starter and or the starter relay (and the key switch itself)
but @ least you can now take the cables out of the equation when you need to trouble shoot similar issues down the road

all too often we blame the other parts mentioned above swap them out and still have the same problem - because the cables were the root problem, good job :)

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor