Author Topic: Shaft Alignment Video  (Read 6152 times)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Shaft Alignment Video
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:48 PM »
It's only taken me 18 months to get this done, but here is the shaft alignment video I have promised to so many ski boat owners. Please excuse the quality of the editing, this old guy is on a steep learning curve with producing these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqniaiggKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqzJgCz_6w

Offline lcgordon

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1994 TBX
Re: Shaft Alignment Video
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
Just watched the video and thanks a ton. I was a little confused but you made it perfectly clear. Very good video. This came out just in time because I am doing this next week. One question if the bell housing is touching the floor what do you do. Does that just mean something is wrong with the strut? Thanks

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
If the bellhousing or any other part of the engine is touching the engine must go up so you can at least get your fingers under any part (1/2") when the engine is raised look at where the shaft is going through the shaft log, if it's touching the top of the log or very close the strut will need to b e shimmed, this was a common practice, usually a couple ss washers does the trick.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:22:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip I will keep that in mind when I do mine.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
Finally got this done-ish on my boat last night. Got it down to almost .005. The left side of the coupler had a bit of a gap. Just could not get it to close up. When we pushed the motor to the left the couplers did not mate up well. Ron I may give you a call about this to see if you have any tips. But for now I bolted it up and am gonna test it this weekend to see how it does then check it again.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
.005" is not good enough, you will generate wear and vibration. Gap on left, slide eng. to the right. Also hold trans side coupling while rotating the shaft coupling AND pressing forward "lapping" the couplings together, this will clean out any crud between the two. Also when checking a problem coupling measure, rotate 90 deg. re-measure, rotate 90Deg. re-measure, repeat to get 4 measurements or gaps, if the gap stays on the left, good, move the eng., if the gap moves each time you rotate the shaft you have a warped coupling. A warped coupling can be removed and a machine shop can "true" the coupling. Shafts that have not been aligned  for years usually require some cleaning between the coupling halves with some sandpaper (320#)
Feel free to call with questions 985-542-4336

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. I have been doing all of that except moving the engine to the right. We were trying to move the front to the left but that was not working because the motor is a square and all moves at once. Then I thought after I got home that we needed to move it to the right. Atleast right now its better than it was. The motor was off about 1/4 of an inch before from the shaft. I had to raise the motor so much. We thought maybe something broke with the mounts but it all seemed ok. Will the motor settle a bit after the first run considering I but in a new strut bearing, stuffing box plus moving the motor so much.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
If you follow the steps and get a good alignment after years of neglect, have a new strut bearing, good clerance under the engine & the shaft is near the center of the shaft log opening you will be good to go for the season, next spring will be a check, and maybe a minor lift.
If the mounts, particularly the front mounts get too close to the end of their available threads a shim stock will need to be added made from 1/4" alum. flat bar.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:20:05 AM »
Thanks and they are getting close to being out of threads but they are ok for now. I will work on it some more here soon.