Author Topic: What ski are you on?  (Read 8804 times)

Offline Mason

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 Volante
What ski are you on?
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
I finally upgraded to a modern slalom ski. I just bought a HO Syndicate A3 from Wiley's and topped it off with their high wrap bindings.  I have used an old HO VTX Extreme for the past few years.  I am interested to see what equipment your American Skier is dragging you around on. 
Nathan Penley

Offline myager

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1987 Carrera
Re: What ski are you on?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
Connelly V. Came off of a real old ( I mean real old HO)

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »
I've been an HO fan since they came out - mid 80's I rode a 65" turbo ......... my wife had /has an 80's esprite - pretty much stripped and she doesn't slalom anymore - my latest slalom is now @ least a decade old CDX - my son rides a HO Truth we both have animal bindings ......... really the slalom I ride the most often (if I have to ride a ski) is my garbage picked NASH wood combo with a slight tunnel - unlike the ever popular Dick Pope Jr it tracks straight @ 40 mph and doesn't bounce up when I step off of it :) ............. then it's just me and my 10 1/2s

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »
O'brian siege Radar vector boot.
Thinking of a new ski, maybe if I find a good deal on a radar vapor.,

Offline lcgordon

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1994 TBX
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
Slalom I ski a Radar annex
Trick I ski a KD7000
Alot of times just my barefeet also

Offline Mason

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 Volante
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming. 

I enjoy being drug around on almost anything behind the boat but nothing gets me more excited than the slalom ski.  Each pull I am competing against myself to be smoother, faster, and more aggressive. 

I have not successfully been barefooting yet.  Like an idiot I sold the boom that came with our boat after moving it around the garage for a few years.  I wish I had back to teach my daughter to ski and myself to barefoot.  I have tried to step off a kneeboard (full speed, long line, outside the wake) and have not figured out how to keep my feet on top. 
Nathan Penley

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 04:17:32 AM »
An HO Phantom w/double Animal boots. It was their top of the line ski in the late 90's into the very early 00's if I remember right. It might have even been a few years earlier than that. Friggin' amazing ski.
I'm sure nothing like the new ones are now but every time I get done with a set I have a huge smile on my face.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline lcgordon

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1994 TBX
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »
An HO Phantom w/double Animal boots. It was their top of the line ski in the late 90's into the very early 00's if I remember right. It might have even been a few years earlier than that. Friggin' amazing ski.
I'm sure nothing like the new ones are now but every time I get done with a set I have a huge smile on my face.

animals will never go out of style. Those and wileys will be around forever.

Offline kahunadon72

• Boat Make/Model/Year: '97 Volanté
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »
Start of the season I ride a more forgiving HO Comp/Freeride. Once in better form I transition to a Triumph.  I use the older HO Shock bindings on both as they are one of the few that fit my size 15's  :D
-Don
'97 Volanté

Offline RichV

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »
Connelly F1 (blue) with Vision bindings.  This was a tremedous step up from my Obrien TRC.  I  am not sure if there is much of an advantage to upgrading my F1.  What I really want to upgrade is my old Connelly trick ski.  I may end up modifying my existing trick ski or using its basic dimensions to build a new trick ski if I can not pick up a modern trick ski for a reasonable price.

Offline PaulM

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
I like my D3 Helix for slalom, although I understand it's now obsolete.   

My 10+ year-old D3 trick ski is still competitive in (old guy) tournament circles.

As alluded to previously, the skier's satisfaction is a bigger factor than the hardware.

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 06:46:39 AM »
I did get a new ski, Radar Senate Alloy, better in rough water than vapor, a size larger & much easier to get up on.