Author Topic: Carb Advice  (Read 4846 times)

Offline rickturl

• Rick
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Volante 1990
Carb Advice
« on: May 15, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
I am slowly working through the issues on my new-to-me 1990 Volante. I just discovered that the previous owner replaced the carb with an automotive Eldebrock 1406 cfm carb (instead of using the 1409 marine carb.) I understand from posts on this forum that this represents a safety/fire issue for my boat. Plus, the way I discovered this is that I need to adjust the boost jets which are currently not adding any fuel when going from idle to full throttle.

I am looking for advice as to which carb to buy to replace what I have. Is it simply religious, or is there a reason to choose between Holley and Eldebrock? I presume the previous carb way Holley, but I don't know.

Thank you for any advice regarding replacement or adjustment.
Rick

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Carb Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
I'm partial to Holley's myself. If I was to buy a new carb, my personal choice would be a Quick Fuel Technology. It's a basic Holley design but with some really nice tech add-ons like billet throttle bodies, metering plates and metering blocks. Externally adjustable floats and secondary throttle plate. All for a price that's cheaper then a new Holley. I know of several guys that bought and installed them over the last couple years and they've all been extremely happy.
Look at a M-600 for your stock application. It's has vacuum secondaries.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline rickturl

• Rick
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Volante 1990
Re: Carb Advice
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  After consulting with Ron I decided to buy a remanufactured Holley from National Carburetor http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/marine/fourbarrelholley.aspx. They were willing to remanufacture my existing Edelbrock into a marine carb for about the same price, but I decided to go with the Holley. While they did offer me $60 for the Edelbrock to be remanufactured for another customer, I may try to sell it myself. It takes about 2 weeks for the "custom build," so I'll need to report back after I it arrives and I get it installed.