Author Topic: Cracked Bottom  (Read 10861 times)

Offline lcgordon

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1994 TBX
Cracked Bottom
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »
So I finally found one of my major leaks. There is a crack in the bottom of the hull. There is a little mark on the bottom in the gel but it does not look too bad. So in my boat next to the exhaust there is a fiberglass tube that the blower hose hooks up to on each side. Im guessing that keeps the blower hose from getting melted against the exhaust im not sure. So the crack is about 5 inches from the back inside the tube. I was wondering if this has ever happened?

My process was gonna be to cut the back of the tube out and fiberglass the crack. What would you guys recommend. I can take pics later if need be.

Offline lcgordon

Re: Cracked Bottom
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
So I was wrong. Im pretty sure its leaking out of the shaft log. I filled it up with water and it leaked out of the bottom of it. Has anybody cut one out and redid it?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
Why? It'll just crack again eventually. Ron has started relocating the blower to between the stringers on all his restorations. When I redid my bilge I relocated the blower between the stringers.
Cut it out. You 'll have to grind down the sharp edges on the hull.

Look at the second page of this thread. http://amskierboats.com/forum/index.php/topic,4342.msg34107.html#new

You can see what I did and how Ron does it. I think it cost me about $20 and a few hours time to do it all. It cleans up the rear of the engine where the blower is located.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
Not sure what you are meaning. My boat has a bilge liner and the tube is molded in with it. So it is way different from yours. Pretty sure my shaft log is not sealed well with the bottom of the boat and is leaking. Filled up the bottom of the boat between the liner and the bottom with water and it leaked out of the shaft log area.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
Wait. Are you talking about cutting out the shaft log and replacing it???? I've never heard of that or know why you would need to do that. I thought you were talking about the blower tube that's molded into the bottom of the hull.

I have no idea what a bilge liner is. Some pics would be nice to try and figure out what's going on.

When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »
Ill get some more tonight and upload them all. Some how when I fill my bilge up with water it leaks out of the shaft log. Its not going through the stuffing box either.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
Here are some pics. Got some more coming. As you can see in my boat there is a bilge liner. I have been talking to ron over email and the phone. I took a hose and filled up between the bottom of the boat and the liner and it started leaking out of the front of the shaft log out the bottom of the hull. Need to figure out how to get past the liner and reseal up the shaft log to the bottom of the boat.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:13:58 AM »
Some more

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 04:29:06 AM »
I haven't seen any shaft log cover like that before. I still contend that the leak is because a hose that clamps to the shaft log is not sealed properly and the hull integrity is sound.
If you get a hose clamped on that shaft log it looks to me like that cover doesn't even need to be reinstalled. It's purely cosmetic.

That blower tube also doesn't cause any problems other then letting bilge water into the blower discharge path. That is not a hull breech.

Again, it's a best guess on my part. Ron will have to be the final judge.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
Here is a pic if you put a bit of water in the bilge it goes under the liner and leaks out the shaft area. You can see the stream running out in this pic. I have already started grinding away and what ever they filled up around the log is (its not fiberglass mat) is all cracked and lets water go right through. I know its not the pipe or the cover. I am talking to ron about this but am also documenting it on here incase anybody with a wesmar boat runs into the same problem they can see what to do or maybe what not to do.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:30:53 AM »
Getting some work done. Grinding out all of the fiberglass crap. The shaft log was not stuck down at all. I think in the second pic you can see the chunk that was letting the water in. It was completely disconnected. 

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
Next step is to reinstall the shaft with the new log, position it, then use a sharpie to mark the location tracing the new log on the hull bottom, then use a straight edge to extend the lines, this allows you to then remove the shaft, bed the new log using the marks to align it. Call when ready to mix the resin putty to bed this in. Looks good so far!

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »
Im going to do more grinding before im ready to do that stuff. Needs more area ground and then cleaned up more. Also going to clean up that tube some and make it look half way presentable. They defiantly used different materials in different places from the factory. Some spots grind out easy and some dont. One in particular looks to be a yellowish fiberglass. I hope thats not part of the hull. Im pretty sure all of the hull is a pinkish red color. I will give you a call ron before anything goes any further after grinding and cleaning up. One question tho do I need to sand the hull smoother or is the fiberglass bottom good the way it is just get all the putty peanut butter stuff off?
Thanks again

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »
Got all my stuff in from my order from Ski Boat Parts Online. It all looks great. The package was in my house for a bit and it smelled it up kinda haha. Thanks also for the directions and the drawings Ron. Should get started on it Wednesday. Oh and good thing I bought a new shaft log. I cleaned the old one up a bit and there was a small hole worn through the flange. Man I was having all sorts of leaks.

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:45:14 AM »
Got the log stuck down last night. Its was really pretty easy. Mixing the resin with the thickener was kinda like mixing a packet of hot chocolate. It was hard to get the lumps out of the powder. It stuck down really well but most of the resin that squeezed out went to the inside instead of the outside. So I may need to whip up another batch and put it around the outside and make a taper for the fiberglass to be laid over top of.

Got some skiing in this morning before work too. (Using a different boat)