Author Topic: Barefoot Gear  (Read 7103 times)

Offline lcgordon

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1994 TBX
Barefoot Gear
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »
I am looking for a suit, a rope and a handle. Im pretty poor so Im looking for something old and cheap. The suit can have holes and the rope does not matter. Just looking for something to get me going. Thanks

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
Re: Barefoot Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
what size suit? 
rope on the cheaps - I have couple of ideas -
handle - just a standard 15" or front toe? 

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
Suit a M or L would work im 5'10 about 180. And no toe hold handle. Just wondering would a slalom rope/handle work? The only thing I could think of being wrong is the handle not having the rubber covering and tearing up your legs when you get up deep water. I just cant spend much because I just bought a boat as I have posted previously on here. I do have access to a suit and a rope and a boom. But I feel really bad always borrowing the guys stuff and I dont want to tear up his suit. They are really expensive.

Offline Midskier

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
very understandable - a suit and shorts will set you back about $375

barefoot shorts under barefoot suit is imperative especially when learning front deeps

scour ebay or craigslist for a used suit but consider buying new shorts............

rope / handle - will a slalom rope work - sure but it will suck
slalom ropes are polypropylene and for a footer might as well be a rubber band - and even worse for a beginner
find a low stretch or no stretch  main line @ least Polyethylene or poly E - typically they stretch when new then are "stretched out" and become low stretch - BI TAC if you can find it, and if you do that line will be 5-10 years old, spectra - very nice but typically start @ $100 just for the main line - budget footers will use their no stretch wakeboard line instead of their slalom line
handles - most of us use a 15" handle instead of a 12" - so there's another $50 -$100

I have some surplus but not a whole lot and I only have small suit I'd be willing to let go

oh and you wont tear up a suit doing front deeps as long as you bend backwards when coming out of the water then sit up
you plane up on your shoulder blades not your butt

here is my nephew David T several years ago - watching his start he exaggerates the bending backwards movement then quickly crunch's to his butt then sort of a 3 point to stand   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xm8xmhOe-g

good luck

Dan T
**219.365.1466**
midskier@hotmail.com
www.FootnGear.com  

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
Thanks for the post and all the information. I dont think I could fit in a small suit but maybe what do you think im 5'10 180. Im not fat for sure just normal size I guess. I still cant do the handle start where you put your feet over the line like your nephew. I think I just need to relax and wait when I do it. You have alot of water in your face so it is hard to breath and see and I try to rush things and get up too quick. But I found with the handle it is so much easier to do a tumble up instead. I just want to get to the point where I can long line so I dont have to carry around a boom when I wanna barefoot every-once in a while. I had no problem off just the boom got up first try. And I have tried about 10 shortline handle starts with feet over and was close. Then I tried the tumble up and got it right away off the handle.

Offline Midskier

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »
if you can do bridle tumble up - you can do a front deep ........... yes small is too small you need a med or large depending on how long your back is... my son is 5'11" buck 60 and wears a medium - I'm 5'10" and wear a BI large (latest style) or old style in XL

in gear
hit it
deep breath
arch back
crunch forward
this is under 10 seconds
there's now no spray
take another breath

cheek out
3 point
stand up

oh - and don't look down
**219.365.1466**
midskier@hotmail.com
www.FootnGear.com  

Offline lcgordon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »
Thanks ill keep looking. Yeah I dont know why I cant. I think this weekend I will be able to. I just cant think when you have cold water spraying in your face. I will try your directions though and I hope that helps.