Author Topic: Anybody have any indmar pictures?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Andrew

Anybody have any indmar pictures?
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
In my 87 Advance I have a Chevy small block (350) raw water cooled, Mallory ignition. When I bought the bought the boat, the accessories were mostly off the motor. Not so sure how everything goes back together, and hoping to find some pictures - or manual with more detail than what’s in the Clymer. So far no luck.

Biggest mysteries are the water flow, how the pump is oriented when attached to the crank pulley and where it’s brackets blot up.  There is an electrical junction panel with fuse breaker that I assume bolts somewhere on back of motor, but not sure where. 

I think I got the alternator on correctly, but beyond that, not making a ton or progress on my own,.
Thanks

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Anybody have any indmar pictures?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:59:58 AM »
Here you go Andrew. Sorry for the delay.

These are older pics and not in accessory specific detail.

The engine is obviously worked over a little but the accessories are hooked exactly as it came from the factory.

Hopefully it'll help. If you need more specific detail I'll be happy to get new pics with whatever you need. Just let me know.

When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
thanks, this helps. Nice looking motor by the way.

I was pretty close; i was pulling my hair our trying to figure out where that retainer ring for the raw water hose ( hose up to thermostat housing) was supposed to go - I thought it had something to do with the coil.

I emailed indmar right after I posted this, and they got back to me almost immediately, and helped me out with some of this. Motor is running now, only thing I need to do is get that circuit breaker bus bar bolted up, mine is kind of floating. What is your blower bolted to - is there a bracket above the starter?

my transmission cooler is bolted to the bellhousing, but the raw water strainer is not attached to anything, just the hoses holding it in place. Yours looks the same?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:31:11 AM »
Yes, there is a bracket for the blower. It's bolted to the bell housing via the top starter bolt and then the blower screws into the bracket. Its a PIA to get the blower attached. Mine had tapped holes that the blower screwed to and then you had a nut that screwed from the bottom to attach the blower ground lug to.
I ended up building an aluminum bracket between the stringers back by the propshaft log and mounted it there when I refinished my bilge. I could get some pics of that if you like. I know Ron has done that on his boats too.

You're correct about the strainer. Just hangs free and works fine that way. It can sometimes affect unscrewing the strainer if its too tight but its not horrible.

The bus bar is another PIA to attach. There are oval holes in both sides of the plastic frame that the bus bar attaches to. It bolts to threaded holes in the head if I remember right. Or it might be one hole in the head and the other to the bell housing. Either way you need to use fender washers between the engine and the plastic frame as spacers amd then again on the bolt head. One of the bolts I needed one fender washer and the other I think had three or four on the backside of the plastic frame because the two bolt holes were offset. Once you get the bolts started you can get a socket to them from the oval cutouts in the front of the plastic frame. Hope that makes some sense. Again, I could get some more detailed pics if you need them.

One other thing. The top bolt of the bracket for the raw water pump screws into a port that is open to the oil gallery. Its normally used to take a longer bolt that's screwed into that port to suspend the fuel pump rod from dropping into the oil pan when you have to change the fuel pump.
Because its open to the oil gallery make sure that you put a little sealant on that bolt thread before you install it. It doesn't need much. As long as no oil is leaking from that port after the RWP is installed you're good to go.

Let ne know if there's anything else I can help you with.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.