Author Topic: Metal pieces in flywheel housing  (Read 3942 times)

Offline newbomb

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1984 American Skier
Metal pieces in flywheel housing
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
I assume this is not particularly good. 84 A/S.

Everything was running great, and then it would not turn over. Just a loud click of the started solenoid. A bit of troubleshooting (removing the starter) and I found these little nuggets inside the bellhousing by the starter. I believe one had wedged between the flywheel teeth and the housing -- locking it up tight.

I was thinking these were from a previous start rebuild, and they were sitting inside the housing for years. Not so sure now though.

Where did they come from?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Metal pieces in flywheel housing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
I'm not sure where the dime would've ever come from but the rest of those pieces are from your damper plate. The springs in it tend to come apart as they become brittle and worn over time. It generally has a clattering sound at idle that goes away as soon as you give it a little gas.
General rule of thumb is any time you remove the tranny from the engine replace the damper plate seeing as you have it out. They wear out over time.

When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline newbomb

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1984 American Skier
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
I'm not sure where the dime would've ever come from but the rest of those pieces are from your damper plate....

The dime was put in for reference. After digging around a bunch last night, I came to the same conclusion. Looks like the 'washer' looking item is part of a rivet. Nonetheless, looks like I need to replace the damper plate.

I assume this one here:

https://www.skiboatpartsonline.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=169

is the correct item for my '84 A/S with 351/velvet drive? Anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Todd

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:34:34 AM »
That one will work. Test fit it first. The very tips of the three wedges may extend over the edge of the flywheel. If that's the case just trim off the tip of each one a bit. I use a dremel tool to shave it a little bit.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.