Author Topic: Anybody else wish they had some cleats?  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Andrew

Anybody else wish they had some cleats?
« on: July 29, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Finally got the boat in the today. Pretty sure based on stickers, paperwork and previous owner research that this boat has not been in the water since 1996. Not sure which surprised me most, that it’s been abandoned on land for 22 years, that I was able to get it running and floating, or that 1996 was 22 freaking years ago! I was already old in 96  :(

A coupe issues today, nothing major. I will need to replace my trailer bunks, or what’s left of them. Do people generally leave their boat in the water somewhere for that job, or somehow haul the boat off the trailer onto blocks?

And does anyone mount cleats on their ski boats, or will they just get in the way? Would have liked an easier tie up at the ramp, and somewhere to tie off the anchors when we were beached.

Will try to add a coupl pictures.

Offline Andrew

Re: Anybody else wish they had some cleats?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »
And most important, I could not for the life of me figure out how my throttle control / shifter works.

I guess it’s a Morse mv2, but there is no shift knob on the shaft the lifts up, as all of the mv2 documentation I can find seem to describe.

There is a little knob or button on the face of the shifter which pulls out, I think stays in the out position, or maybe it pushes in, and stays depressed. But I was really just pushing it in and out and moving the throttle, pulling it out and moving the throttle, 

Can anyone explain how these shifters are supposed to work? Thanks.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Anybody else wish they had some cleats?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
1)  I took the boat off the trailer and put it in the water while I refinished it.

2)   yes the cleats tend to get tangled in the rope if you have them. You can get some pop up cleats that work well but you have to drill holes in the gelcoat.
Another option is getting bungee docking lines that you can attach to the bow eye and transom tie downs. That's my preferred option.

3)  With the throttle....pull out the knob and it disengages the shift linkage so you apply throttle while remaining in neutral.
Push it back in and then it shifts and applies throttle.

When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.