Author Topic: 1989 Advance interior panels  (Read 4072 times)

Offline 549

1989 Advance interior panels
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »
Sorry for the long post. New to the forum and the boat. I'm excited about the project...

I managed to find the boat I learned to ski behind 20-some years ago and couldn't pass up the chance to save it. I've been working on stripping it down, cutting and buffing the gelcoat, and get a few mechanical things straightened out.

It will need some interior work but that's going to have to wait until the off-season if I want to get on the water this year. There a few things that need attention first though...
The side panels are very loose and bounce around as a couple screws have pulled out. They appear to be screwed through the panel into the gunwale. Is there a way to get these re-anchored without pulling the vinyl skin off? Being a bit sun-baked, I'm worried it would tear.

Thanks in advance.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: 1989 Advance interior panels
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:03:26 AM »
I'm not sure if they changed how the panels attach after 86 which is what mine is.
The panels should be through- bolted and have nuts and washers on the back side of the gunnel. Mine tend to loosen and vibrate off so I started using nyloc nuts which stay tight.
Should be 1/4-20 nuts. At least mine are.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline 549

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
I crawled under hoping to find the same thing...
Mine appear to be screwed rather than bolts. If they are a bolt, they're burried in the foam that is in the tucked up underneath.

Unfortunately looking like it won't be as simple as i was hoping.

Offline RichV

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
The seat backs on my 89 have something like t nuts that machine screws thread into on the interior side of the plywood.  I can not remember if the side panels are similarly reinforced or if the simply use wood screws into the plywood.  They come out relatively quick.  I recomend removing one to see what type of damage you have to fix.  I am sure you can do a temp repair to the plywood if it is really needed. 

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
My 88 the panels are screwed, but you can get to screw heads thru the seams of the vinyl. I put in larger screws or you could bolt if there is access to the backside.