Author Topic: New member here, just bought first American Skier- 88 Advance  (Read 12949 times)

Offline RamRod

New member here, just bought first American Skier- 88 Advance
« on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
Hey everyone my name is Shaun, I live in Southern California. Just bought my first boat although I’m not new to boating. 88 Advance. 351w velvet drive. Engine runs. Leaks fuel from carb. Oil looks good. Haven’t check out the velvet yet. Previous owner made a new rear bench seat. New clamshell upholstery and front seats upholstery. Has new carpet. Couple questions....

Where exactly can I hook up water to run in my driveway?
There are threads under the boat by the tracking fins that look like they are for a drain plug. Normally aren’t those on the transom? This plug i assume gives access directly into the bilge area?
Are there any places to find parts like dash guage panels, trim pieces, swim platform brackets, etc???

What should I look out for and do exactly before I put this boat in the water?

Thanks everyone let me know what you think and give me your suggestions too. Awesome forum by the way.

Tried to upload a few pictures but it wouldn’t let me. Not sure how to downsie them

Offline wettrthebetter

• Boat Make/Model/Year: AMERICAN SKIER, ADVANCE, 1991
Re: New member here, just bought first American Skier- 88 Advance
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
Welcome new American skier owner.
Not many replies on this site that I have encountered.
My 1991 Advance also had the carb dribble fuel. the Floats were adjusted to high.
The Holley on my 4160 did not have the easy way to adjust the floats, from the outside mine had to be adjusted on the inside.
Had to pull the bowl off, and just had to buy bowl gaskets.
Your bilge drain is under the engine not at the stern. your
Enjoy your boat,
American skiers are very similar to all the rest of the Competition Ski boats, (Mastercraft,  nautique,malibu,
correct craft,ski centurion, mb).
But you can buy the American Skier Much Cheaper.

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »
I forgot to tell you where to hook up H2O to run your engine.
Go to the hardware store  and pick up 3ft of 1" PVC pipe, two 90's, and a 5gal Bucket.( the Cheap way)
now cut the PVC in three pieces 8", " and 16", glue a 90 to the 8" and 12"then glue a 90 to the 12" and 16" to
Make a horseshoe shape, cut a 45 at the end of the long end
Then disconnect the 1" hose from your Raw water strainer(engine side) connect the short end (8" )
and place the bucket under the long end (16") place your water hose in the bucket, (tie it to the PVC),
Fill the bucket with water.
When the bucket is full, turn off the water. run engine to test water draw from engine pump. this will show you if your pump is good.
turn your water back on before the bucket is empty.
Your engine should use the same amount of water as your water faucet can put out at Idle.
hope this helps, I know it sounds like a lot to  do just to run your engine , but his way will not burn up your engine, like a fake a lake.
If you do not want to go with the PVC you can buy the rubber hoes set up threw this site.
Good luck Paul

Offline RamRod

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:16:31 PM »
Thank you so much for the info. Just trying to sort thru what I have right now. Ron told me my swim step brackets are incorrect. I need to stop the fuel leak from the carb and also order the water hose and fittings from the store here. Looks like the boat was on the lake a few months ago according to some of the papers I found inside the boat. Anything to look at with the velvet drive beside checking and changing the oil?

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
When you check  the velvet drive oil, Warm up it up, then turn off engine,  then check the Fluid right a way.
This is done better on the water.
After you have checked the velvet drive Fluid level, and you know where it is on the dip stick.
Remove the fluid and measure it. Then you will know how much to refill to the that mark.

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »
When you check  the velvet drive oil, Warm up it up, then turn off engine,  then check the Fluid right a way.
This is done better on the water.
After you have checked the velvet drive Fluid level, and you know where it is on the dip stick.
Remove the fluid and measure it. Then you will know how much to refill to the that mark.

Offline RamRod

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
Ok will do that on the drive. Looks like I need to replace the fuel line from the engine or the tank because it’s cracked. It looks like between the rear seat and the engine cover, there are panels in the floor that look removable, is this the case? What needs to be done to replace this fuel line? Also how do I drain the tank of old gas?

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
Well how ya doing?
I just use Hand Siphon Pump Hose Gas Oil Liquid Syphon Pump, cost 4 bucks at Amazon.
What to do with your old gas.
Well you can do one of three things.
Take it to your recycle center
 if the gas is not that bad,Use it for your lawn mower, weed eater, Blower, or anything else around the house.
let it Evaporate, I didn't say that, Did I ?

Offline RamRod

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:21 PM »
Yesterday I removed the rear seat and floor access panels. Found out the fiberglass blower tube that is glassed to the floor is cracked. Also the rear exhaust hoses that exit the transom are flaming away and need replaced. Going to pull the tank to gain easier access to everything. Should I cut out the blower motor glassed ducting since it’s cracked and run flexible tubing all the way back to the vent opening? Anything else to look for down here like maybe the steering or the shaft long and parts around it?

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Ron has been mounting blower under the rear center floor panel in front of steering cable mount. If you search the forum you should find a picture. ( was 1 recent from Ron or Eddie ) While you are there ck. steering cable mount pivot for wear & grease the ball stud, grease fitting for rudder. Check engine alignment ( search site for procedure ) Ck. fuel check valve at fuel tank outlet & make sure screen is clean.
Used to be alot more people on the site but it was down for awhile & has not be as busy since. Eddie has been on often & he knows a lot. I try to check in every week or 2 in season.

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »
thanks shyskier, Im glad someone shined in to help.
I know a lot but not as much as you long time American Skiers.
I had a aqua craft drag boat V-drive before  i bought my 91 AS three months ago.

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
RamRod Here is how my 1991 advance is set up. Fuel line is on  the Port side long the muffler.

Offline RamRod

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 11:44:35 PM »
Awesome thank you for the picture. I cannot figure out how to upload pictures from my iPhone

Today I removed the Holley carb which needs a full rebuild. Can I run an edelbrock 600cfm automotive carb? I do have one on the shelf that is ready to go

I  removed the water strainer, and the 1 1/4” diameter inlet hoses since they need replacing

Removed the blower motor tube since it was cracked. I just ripped it off, need to smooth out the rough edges

I removed the rear exhaust hoses that connect to the transom as they are very brittle.

Removed the oil/water separator since I’m going to replace the filter and lines.

Basically I’m taking everything off that I can clearly see needs to be replaced

Next up I’m going to get the fuel tank out. This way I can clean up the area around it and get the new exhaust hoses on. Also going to relocate the blower motor to under the floor.

Got the stereo working today. Blower fan turns on thru the dash. Bilge does not turn on even though the light on the dash does. All gauges are also working. Engine was showing 50 pounds oil pressure on cold start idle

So far I love the boat. Easy to work on. My kids like it a lot and we can’t wait to try it out. Anyone has an idea on the iPhone pictures let me know I would love to show you guys my boat

Offline wettrthebetter

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
Yep, they are simple to work on, Thats why i have owned 1971,1980,1984, 1986, and now 1991.
I would Never own a Computer boat, I would never be able to work on it.
Old school is the best for me.
Enjoy your project.

Offline shyskier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: american skier advance 88
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »
RamRod, it is not recommended to use auto carb. the marine carbs are made to reduce the amount of gas fumes in engine compartment to reduce the chance of explosion.