Author Topic: Replace fuel tank - options?  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Andrew

Replace fuel tank - options?
« on: December 25, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »
I fear my fuel tank has a leak - everytime I remove the cover there is a very strong fuel smell. Every inch of hose is new, so assume it’s the tank itself. Has anyone been down this road, and I’d so, did you have the 30+ year old tank repaired, or replaced?

Where did you find a replacement? Cost?

Boat is an 87 Advance, original 28 gallon tank, iirc.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Replace fuel tank - options?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
Where are you located? Reason being I assume its cold and not being used? Fuel tank full or partially full?
Strong odors aren't that unusual if indeed thats the case. Cold weather and a full tank means the tank is contracting and fuel spilling out the vent. At least it wasn't unusual for me when I lived in WI.

I would also verify that your hoses are truly tight if they've been replaced. Use a socket wrench and not a screwdriver.

If the tank is truly leaking it should be able to be repaired. That is if its aluminum as I assume it is.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »
It is the original aluminum tank. I have checked all the hoses, but will check them again in the spring. The tank is empty now, but over the summer every Friday when I pulled the cover off , it really smelled like fuel. My other boat has a slight fuel smell when I get under the canvas, but this is way worse. Like afraid to light a smoke for fear of explosion.

I don’t think I ever had it over half full. And I tried to keep to cover up over the outlet for the vent so I don’t think I’m trapping fumes

I’ll probably pull the tank back out, and rig something up to pressure test it. Assuming I find a leak, is it worth repairing a 30+ year old tank? I was thinking it isn’t, but the tank was mounted pretty cleanly, not encased in foam like some of my other boats. So perhaps it is?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 06:33:07 AM »
IMHO definitely worth repairing. New tanks are POS plastic.

Tank is pretty easy to remove.

Also check the fuel system from the pump to the carb. You may have a leak there someplace. Maybe just evaporation from the fuel bowl in the carb could be the culprit if its been sitting for a while.

How does it run and start cold or hot?
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »
It starts right up and runs fine. Don’t think it’s the carb, or lines - odor is coming from the back of the boat.  But I guess possible, I replaced the pump to carb line, but apparently bending fuel lines to the right shape is not something I am great at!

I’ll probably pull the tank back out in a few weeks and pressure test it. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that an aluminum tank had an expected service life of 20-25 years, but can’t seem to find where I read that. That’s why I was thinking replace. Where do you take a tank for repair? Living in the Philadelphia area, there aren’t really any marine repair shops. A welder?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:07:49 AM »
If you replaced the hard lines to the carb I would definitely verify that its not leaking. Bending and flaring fuel lines is an art.
I finally gave up trying to do it after three attempts and put in AN lines and never looked back.

Any good welder should be able to do that tank. Doesn't have to be marine specific.

Offline Elvikingo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 07:27:34 AM »
I would also suggest looking for a local tank fabricator. I have restored a couple vintage shamrocks and I ended up using a tank fabricator to duplicate the original aluminum tanks
Figured if they made it 30 years before a fresh set would do another thirty. Plastic wasn’t an option very strange shape if it had been I would have considered it as it goes better with today’s bad gas.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 11:56:38 AM »
I just got the boat into the garage yesterday, so will be able to start on this soon. Plan is to remove the tank and test it at 3psi or so, looking for leaks.