Author Topic: New Members & Russian Hackers  (Read 4245 times)

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
New Members & Russian Hackers
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:40:23 AM »
Welcome aboard (2) new members, "BShaffer" who has an 86' Advance and "Adkskier" who has an 85' Volante. Sorry it took a few more days than normal to process your free membership to this collective of great ski boat minds. We are having some technical difficulties with the site filtering out the unwanted' s, our border security is weak & we need a better wall. Our site is getting dated & our host server is worried that if we update to a newer version that we would lose all the collected pics, and data, and to me that is priceless. Apparently hackers have found a way to bypass our security questions and request membership without answering any questions. So about a year ago we implemented a "final go/no-go" for membership that I must review and accept or reject a new potential member, AND added a filter that recognizes the bad guys from the good guys. This morning I checked the site (been over a week since the last time) and there were 234 applicants waiting at our border gate wanting in but only (2) were legit and knew the secret passwords. Over 1/2 of the applicants had URL's ending in .ru (russian) many .cn , they seem to be able to bypass the security question area no matter many questions we ask them to answer, but when they must list a boat make/model they fail every time. I will not admit someone from russia with a 2018 swifter deluxe and a Chinese applicant with a 4HP1962 beavertail.  My server host says they are interested in our mailing list so that all our members can benefit from their advertising directly to you.   

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: New Members & Russian Hackers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »
LOL...that's good stuff. Get 'em Ron.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline wetamb

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 92 AS Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
Thanks as always for keeping up the site.... ;)
BJ(Brendan) in Florida - 92 Legend

Offline AdkSkier

• Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Volante 1985
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
Thanks for the acceptance. Doing some major work on my Am. Skier and thought this site would offer much insight, which it has.