Author Topic: Engine Stops  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Polenz1

• Boat Make/Model/Year: Am Skier Volante 1990
Engine Stops
« on: May 12, 2019, 04:48:42 PM »
I recently bought a 1990 AM Volante and trying to get her maiden voyage completed on our lake. So far, 0-2!  I tuned her up, oil change, etc.  She starts rather easy, idles nice, throttles fine, but when I get her up on plane for 60-90 seconds she stops immediately. It’s like someone turned the key off. I reset the main circuit breaker and same thing happens shortly thereafter. Thoughts?  Thank you!!

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Engine Stops
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:37:22 AM »
So you're saying it trips the main breaker?
I would start by checking all the wiring in general and make sure everything has good clean connections and tight. Especially all grounds.

The breaker could be bad also. Verify what the charge voltage is with a meter.

Is anything physically hot to the touch when this happens?

As much info as possible will help.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
Main Eng. breaker supplies the power to the dash panel, usually a 40 or 50 amp breaker, if this is tripping there is an intermittent short, or the breaker has gone bad, most likely a short. I have seen many main harness wires chewed through from mice that cause this problem. The main harness runs for the engine plug to the dash panel through the bilge. Hitting the right wave may be causing the harness to bounce and allow the main red feed wire touch a ground if the wire insulation is compromised. 

Offline Polenz1

• Boat Make/Model/Year: Am Skier Volante 1990
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »
Thank you for the insight. I found a wire coming out of the breaker box rubbing against the main ground wire, melted to each other. I repaired them and hopefully will be ready to go on the lake tomorrow.  Appreciate your help guys.