Author Topic: Carburetor  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Miller

• Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier 1993
Carburetor
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »
I was having an issue with the Holley 4 barrel carburetor on my 1993 American Skier, which I had rebuilt a few years ago. so I bought a new Holley 600 CFM carburetor and installed it. The new on has a duel feed fuel line as opposed the other one that I had removed. The boat will crank up but after a minute of so it shuts off. I installed an in line glass fuel filter and it is still full of fuel when it stops running. So I don't think it is a fuel pump problem. I had sent an email to Holley tech. support last Sunday saying what was happening and that the motor sets at a 10 degree angle there fore the carburetor sets at a 10 degree angle, and all they said was "we sell a 7 degree and a 12 degree plate for under the carburetor. Maybe that will help." They each cost about $200.00 and I don't want to buy one if that isn't the problem. I already tried adjusting the floats and that didn't make a difference.  Like I said the other carburetor didn't need a angle plate so I wouldn't see why this one would either. Please help if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks Tim in Tampa.

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Carburetor
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »
If the new carb has a dual feed inlet I have to assume its an automotive carb and not a marine carb. If that's the case thats a problem. Holley marine carbs don't have dual feed inlets. At least not 600cfm Holley marine carbs.
Second issue is floats are set too high and flooding out the engine. The floats need to be adjusted lower and you should be fine.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 05:44:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply. On the holley carburetor box that it came in it says 4150  600 CFM UNIV. MARINE  I know it has the metal pipe tubes that curve down back into the bowls like my other Holley marine carburetor had. I had no idea that it had a duel feed fuel line when I ordered it, but when it arrived I just figured that is how they were these days.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
Agree with Backfoot, also concerned with the fuel filter used. Is the carb running out of fuel, or flooding? When giving issues & you look down the throat of the carb is fuel dribbling in?? OR when is quits & you look down the throat & pump the throttle is fuel squirting or is it dry?? Before going further we need to know if its flooding or starving. The angle is not the issue, this can be dealt with via float level like Backfoot said.

Offline Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Thanks Ron, After backfoot100 answered my question I went back on Jegs website and  I guess that I mistakenly picked the only 600 cfm carburetor that was a duel feed. So I am going to remove it and buy the one that I should have purchased. It is a 600 cfm single feed that says it is made for a Ford 351 motor which is what I have. Thanks again for replying to my question.