Author Topic: Best way to secure fenders?  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Audre_skis

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1989
Best way to secure fenders?
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
I have been considering adding deck cleats to my 1988 Advance. We need to be able to secure fenders while launching and haul-out. Right now we secure a fender to one of the interior rear handles, but need a way to secure nearer to the bow, by the wind screen. How is everyone securing fenders if not with cleats? If using cleats, where did you mount them, and did you use standard cleats, or some sort of hidden cleat?

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: Best way to secure fenders?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
I designed this boat to be "tournament Skier Friendly" therefore smooth decks with nothing for ski lines to snag on, including cleats. That said most of these thoroughbreds are now out to pasture pulling kids and enjoying the recreational skiing world. In this case cleats can be handy, most skiers simply tie a line over the pylon to the dock & that's it. If I were to add cleats it would be the flush pop-up style which are readily available. 

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Best way to secure fenders?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 05:20:19 AM »
Agree with Ron. You become creative. I use smaller fenders secured with suction cups. You can put them anyplace you need them. I also tie them off to lengths of bungee cord that just hook around the pylon.
Tying up to a dock is the same principle. Bungee cords that loop through the bow eye, the pylon or the rear tow eye or lifting rings are more than adequate for any type tie up you need.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.