Author Topic: Finally a skiing question!  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Andrew

Finally a skiing question!
« on: July 14, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »
Took me 14 months and incalculable number of hours in my garage over those 14 months, but finally pulled a skier on my reborn 87 Advance last week. Curious what others thoughts are on tow rope lengths, to get in the sweet spot for this boat?

Last week was first time my son was able to stay up for any length of time on one ski, so by no means do I need a rope sized to be ripping thru slalom runs. But I believe the rope I had him on was a bit short, as per the shape of my wake. Is there any specific length I should be using, or any spot in the wake I should  have him positioned at ?

Thanks.

Offline rickturl

• Rick
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Volante 1990
Re: Finally a skiing question!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:22:41 AM »
Congrats on getting the boat out! If you are planning open water skiing and don’t care about courses, just look at the wake to find the sweet spot. For my 1990 Volante this is at about 15’ off. The wake is small and soft when running 32-34 mph. The wake will vary by skier, speed, and lake conditions. But it is usually pretty easy to see just looking at the wake. Have fun!

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
Congrats on finishing and getting her back on the water. wakes are dependent on speed & weight, long line (75') works but I prefer 15 off for recreation skiing.

Offline PaulM

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
Your Advance is a very good slalom ski boat.  It has a good wake from long-line to 22'-off.  There is a rooster-tail at 22'off at most speeds.  Going shorter on the slalom line, it only gets better @32-36 mph. 

If you get into shortline slalom, this hull remains a good trainer boat.  Of course, the new offerings from the majors are state-of-the-art, but our old ski boats remain quite comparable. 

Offline Andrew

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »
Ended up selling the boat a couple weeks ago. Wasn’t really planning on it, but wasn’t finding much time to go boating, and needed some cash more than my second boat. Take care everyone, thanks for the help, enjoy your boats, and stay safe !