Author Topic: Skylon Pole Help!!!!  (Read 5390 times)

Offline ML_Volante

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 AM Volante
Skylon Pole Help!!!!
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
Hey all new to the forum and venture to say newest owner of am skier. I don't want to ruin the boat with a tower so I want to get an extended pylon. Found this skylon on Craig's but looks like it was used for different type of boat with additional legs. Will this one still work for my boat. Thanks for all the help.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bpo/d/doctors-inlet-skylon-ski-pylon/6948641721.html

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: Skylon Pole Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
Welcome and congrats on your AmSkier.

Good choice not putting a tower on your boat. That said, I don't think that one will work. The only ones I've seen that have the extra legs like that are designed to go on a V-drive boat with a really short stubby pylon just ahead of the engine.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline ML_Volante

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1991 AM Volante
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 06:38:22 AM »
I appreciate the info. Though I look at it and it looks like if i were to take the 2 supports off it would work. It looks like the construction of it is no different than the one's ive seen on here. What do you think?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
Depends how much adjustment you have in the cable. Those type pylons have an extra long cable to reach all the way to the bow. If its that type you may have to get creative to shorten the bow cable enough.
 You also need to verify the diameter of the extended pylon is the same as your pylon. Some boats had a 3" pylon.
Call up the seller and ask what boat it was on verify what diameter it is.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline our88advance

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1988 american skier advance
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
im behind here so be patient.we are doing a lot of work on our boat that includes removing a wake tower that was there when we bought it.this skylon sounds like what we are considering for tube pulling but most don't recommend using for tubes.is this the extension pole that slips over the ski pole forward of the engine?

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »
Yes it is and I agree that you should never pull tubes with it. They were never designed for that.

Offline rickturl

• Rick
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier Volante 1990
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 05:24:15 PM »
And never pull skiers with a Skylon - too much side load. I think it’s OK for a wakeboard tho...