Author Topic: Random no power issue  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Jstew

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1982 American Skier
Random no power issue
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
I have a 1982 AM skier and have had an ongoing issue over the years, but hasn’t really happened in about 2 years until now. The boat will randomly not have any power. I charged the battery, had someone try to jump the battery on the lake, but nothing happened. I got the battery checked and the battery is good ( only a year old). I connected the battery yesterday and got power, started the boat and everything was fine. I disconnected it overnight so the perfect pass wouldn’t try to draw power from the battery. But this  morning, no power at all. And I know the battery is good. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? I don’t want to be out of the lake and randomly have no power? Could it be a short somewhere? How would I check that? What would cause the boat to not have any power with a good battery?

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: Random no power issue
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Could be as simple as a loose battery cable at the engine, red or black cable.
1) When this happens is the battery charged or discharged?
2) If discharged (below 11 volts) and you know it was fully charged when last used, (big question mark here) then you have a voltage "leak"
3) if the battery is fully charged (12.5+) and the boats electrical system is "dead" then you will need to use a voltmeter to find where the "open" is

Because this is random it generally leads to a poor connection starting with battery cables and the multi pin plug at the rear of the engine where the engine harness meets the boat/dash harness.