Author Topic: ignition coil issue  (Read 4123 times)

Offline our88advance

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1988 american skier advance
ignition coil issue
« on: December 10, 2019, 07:08:38 PM »
ok so a few years ago I was having restart issues on my 88 model advance. I fought this most of the summer until I brushed my forearm against the coil while stuck on the lake, it was HOT!nice blister from that one. it seemed to be an original 9 volt coil with the resistor. I replaced it with an accell coil and bybassed the resistor to a switched 12 volt source.flash forward to next season and worked fine until it didn't. during trouble shooting I noticed the top of the coil was bulged and cracked around the coil wire.full disclosure this was after a long no wake speed crawl to get out of the launch area to the main water(my bride remembered something left in the car and we turnedback near the main water so we crawled it twice really,maybe 8-10 minute crawl) would really love to hear yalls thoughts on this

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: ignition coil issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
Still running points or has this been converted to electronic ignition?? The electronic ignitions will use 12V coils & do bypass the resister. Is the new coil a 9 v or 12v ?

Offline our88advance

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1988 american skier advance
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:13:58 PM »
it has been converted to electronic ignition. and the coil is an accell brand 12v.my cousin suggested that I move the coil away from the cylinder head at least a few inches but I haven't done that yet as we are past the prime season and i'm in the process of new vinyl while its stored for the winter.

Offline PaulM

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
The original coil bracket positioned the coil several inches from the cylinder head on the back of the engine on my 88 Advance with the Indmar SP-300 engine.  I still have the original resistor limiting the "run" coil voltage.  The original coil failed after 20-years of service.  I replaced it with a MSD Blaster coil and have had no problems since.