Author Topic: 454 Advance  (Read 3893 times)

Offline TRBenj

454 Advance
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
New member here, working on reviving a ‘87 Advance left for dead. Bought the boat engine-less (originally had a PCM 350) and figured that a spare PCM 454 might drop in without too much fanfare. I saw the quote below from Ron in this thread.

We did MFG. show ski specific boats based on our regular production models, we beefed up the pylon mount and installed a taller pylon, some Advance were built with 454's as well.

Curious if anyone has or has seen such a beast, or if anyone involved with their design or build could enlighten me on a few things. The initial install hit a small snag when the quick drain fitting on the bottom of the pan hit the hull... will remove it but boy, it’ll still be tight if I can get the engine low enough to align it. It appears that the floor and motorbox may need to be notched for the rwp as well... maybe indmars were used originally but the crank mounted pump would’ve been tight on the box (or pylon) too.  Thirdly, the motorbox looks like it’ll need to be raised an inch or so, it fits LxW (other than the rwp) but is sitting up on the exhaust manifolds. Curious what mods (if any) were required to fit the big block in the boat... might shorten our learning curve a little. Thanks!

Offline TRBenj

Re: 454 Advance
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 04:54:37 AM »
A few pics. Engine is currently cranked up on the mounts to keep from hitting the hull. Rwp is removed because it would have hit the floor. Pic at bottom shows a pic including the pump for reference. We are reusing the 10-17 for now to simplify shaft length and coupler size.

Offline TRBenj

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:07:43 AM »
I apologize for the image size, not sure how to correct (I’m on my phone and using Imgur to host). Also don’t see an edit feature...

454 pump location for reference (forward and lower than crank pulley):

Offline TRBenj

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 07:00:59 AM »
Pretty quiet here... but I did get a note from RonT with some helpful info. The major hurdles seem to be cleared now, with gross alignment done and the floor notched for the rwp. I’ll probably make subsequent updates over on the fb page (though it pains me) as that seems to get a little more foot traffic.