Author Topic: Not an AM Skier... but I think you'll like it :)  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Joel

Not an AM Skier... but I think you'll like it :)
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »
Hopefully this pic will come through...  Its my 50th B-Day present from ME to ME!!!  I have more posted in my 50th Birthday Present Album  :)
Joel - Columbus, OH - 1991 Advance

Offline phil

• Gernal Forum Moderator
    • amskierboats.com
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 2008 Moomba Outback DD
Re: Not an AM Skier... but I think you'll like it :)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
Really nice ride. Enjoy.

Offline Joel

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
Thanks...  I am    ;D   Its a 1986 Porsche 928S with manual 5 speed & 18" 3 part aluminum wheels (aftermarket).  In 86 it came with 288 HP / 302 lbs of torque, advertised as the fastest production car sold in the U.S. @ 0 - 60 in just over 6 sec with a top end of 155 mph (still very quick even in 2011's standards).  It started in 1979 and ended production in 1995.  Sticker price in 1986 with stock wheels was $56K.  It had 41K miles when I purchased it in Miami two months ago...  now rapidly approaching 46K miles at WARP FACTOR 10!!!

Like our boats they are high quality machines with a slightly different powerplant - 5.0L all aluminum V8, Brembo brakes, Bilstien coil over shocks & a Porsche tuned suspension with limited slip Weissach rearend (state of the art).  Its a niche GT car built for speed, handling, luxury & comfort primarily for the North American market - came fully loaded with all leather interior.   928s in general are widely underappreciated by the Porsche community - which means that you can buy a very nice, well maintained, high performance Porsche Grand Tourer for a song.  Its quick & powerful (like our boats) and is built to be driven across country at over 100 mph :)  Believe it or not, it is rated to TOW up to 3,000 lbs...  I considered towing the boat to TN with it, but thought that would just be tooooo weird   ;)

Parts aint cheap, but nothing is anymore so I figured "What the hell...  Happy 50th Birthday to me!!!  I'd bring her down to the reunion, but Momma didnt like the idea of driving TWO rides & towing a boat to TN   :(

Offline skiboatdriver

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
Where is the hitch so you can pull your American Skier????  ;D
1991 American Skier Legend/2002 Elan American Skier Pro

Offline Joel

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »
Decided against the hitch, but have seen photos of 928s in Europe towing trailers...   Looks pretty comical  ;)