Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General American Skier Discussions / Re: 86 Advance boathouse belt lift
« Last post by ramseybrown44 on July 18, 2023, 10:46:56 PM »
Thanks Ron, can you tell me what the perceived dangers or drawbacks are using belts to lift?
General American Skier Discussions / Re: 86 Advance boathouse belt lift
« Last post by RonT on July 15, 2023, 07:26:32 AM »
THis is never a good way to support any inboard, but if that's what you have, then the aft belt must be ahead of the shaft log and the forward belt just ahead of the forward fin. RonT
General American Skier Discussions / 86 Advance boathouse belt lift
« Last post by ramseybrown44 on June 29, 2023, 11:56:56 AM »
We have an 1986 19' Advance and are looking to install a new boat lift in our boathouse. For a couple reasons the vertical belt style lift is preferable to a "cradle" or cantilever style lift. This is where two 4" wide belts pick up the boat. I am curious if anyone here has used this style lift with any success? I am also wondering where the best placement is for the belts? I assume the forward belt would be just in front of the forwardmost fin, and the aft belt would be ~6-12" forward of where the shaft exits the hull? Any insight is appreciated.
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Re: Stall Issue
« Last post by RonT on June 19, 2023, 04:08:13 PM »
Depending on ambient air temps the electric choke may take from 1 minute to 3-4 minutes to fully open when colder outside. You can adjust this for a bit longer & see if that helps, enrichening the idle mixture screws just a 1/4 turn may also help. Double check base timing at idle & be sure it advances when revved up & it returns to base again at idle. On Fords I am setting base timing now at 6 deg advance & GM engine 8 deg adv. ( for 87 octane gas)
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Stall Issue
« Last post by 1sullivan on June 15, 2023, 08:17:35 PM »
I’m having a stall issue with my 1993 Advance. When I put it in the lake and put it in gear at idle speed, it stalls out. If I gun it into gear the issue doesn’t occur. After running for 10 minutes I can drive at idle speed without stalling. The fact it needed time to warm up made me think it was a choke issue, but I ensured that the choke fully opens In under a minute when power is running to it. Are there any other ideas of what to look at?
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Re: Battery disconnect?
« Last post by backfoot100 on July 19, 2022, 06:35:31 AM »
I'd start at the ignition switch and look under the dash. Obviously something miswired or a hot wire is shorted where it shouldn't be.
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Battery disconnect?
« Last post by jason.holland on June 17, 2022, 06:12:41 AM »
I just purchased a 1988 American Skier Advance. The battery was dead when it was purchased and I had to buy a new one. After install the power to all the electronics turned on without the key in the ignition. I'm having to disconnect the battery every time so as not to let it drain. Where should I start troubleshooting, or should I just install a battery disconnect? Thanks
Gauge may not reset to zero until you turn the key on.
General American Skier Discussions / 1985 American Skier - Stuck Temperature Gauge
« Last post by clmpa1 on October 11, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
Putting the boat away for winter and the temperature gauge is stuck. I replaced the impeller a few weeks ago, and all was well. However, it is 40 degrees outside, and the temperature gauge reads 180 after two weeks of no use. Gauge or sending unit, both?
General American Skier Discussions / Re: Rooster tail where wakes meet
« Last post by Ricci on October 06, 2021, 02:29:30 PM »
What speed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10