Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Re: Windshield trim
« Last post by RonT on June 17, 2019, 08:15:37 AM »
Taylor Made is very difficult to deal with, they don't return calls, and unless you are ordering 100 windshields they don't want to talk to you. I have used black foam tape from Lowes, it has a shiny side that goes faces out, and carefully trim to fit with a razor blade.
Boat Maintenance - American Skier / Re: Windshield trim
« Last post by bandersonh on June 15, 2019, 12:33:18 PM »
Back to the top with this one.  Any new or more info on replacement trim for the windshield?  Ron, any more details on what you have been using?

Thanks,

Brian Anderson
General American Skier Discussions / Re: Best way to secure fenders?
« Last post by backfoot100 on June 13, 2019, 05:20:19 AM »
Agree with Ron. You become creative. I use smaller fenders secured with suction cups. You can put them anyplace you need them. I also tie them off to lengths of bungee cord that just hook around the pylon.
Tying up to a dock is the same principle. Bungee cords that loop through the bow eye, the pylon or the rear tow eye or lifting rings are more than adequate for any type tie up you need.
General American Skier Discussions / Re: Best way to secure fenders?
« Last post by RonT on June 12, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
I designed this boat to be "tournament Skier Friendly" therefore smooth decks with nothing for ski lines to snag on, including cleats. That said most of these thoroughbreds are now out to pasture pulling kids and enjoying the recreational skiing world. In this case cleats can be handy, most skiers simply tie a line over the pylon to the dock & that's it. If I were to add cleats it would be the flush pop-up style which are readily available. 
General American Skier Discussions / Best way to secure fenders?
« Last post by Audre_skis on June 11, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
I have been considering adding deck cleats to my 1988 Advance. We need to be able to secure fenders while launching and haul-out. Right now we secure a fender to one of the interior rear handles, but need a way to secure nearer to the bow, by the wind screen. How is everyone securing fenders if not with cleats? If using cleats, where did you mount them, and did you use standard cleats, or some sort of hidden cleat?
General American Skier Discussions / Re: Another leak !!!!
« Last post by RonT on June 01, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
Trick to installing the insert is to warm it up, in the summer I will coil it up in a black plastic bag, leave it in the sun for an hour then quickly install it, in the factory I made a steel tub with an electric heater, the tub was filled with water & a little soap, cooked until 140 deg. then quickly installed.
« Last post by Andrew on May 31, 2019, 07:59:30 PM »
Oops, should have called before I started. I guess the next sorry sob who buys this boat will be calling you to ask why he can’t get the darn deck off, cause some fool must have glued it on with 4200!

I could not seem to dig all of the caulk out with the deck in place, so I lifted it up a couple inches in sections, and cleaned up the hull sides. Covered with a lot of 4200, dropped back in place and then screwed all around using the original locations. I think I hit 25+ screws up each side before finding a solid one, so a lot of new holes. Once I screwed it tight with the newly drilled holes, a nice looking bead of caulk was showing in the joint the whole way around. For a few minutes I was thinking about thru bolting the sections that failed, but never got there.

Should be ready to put the rub rail back on tomorrow. But now thinking about ordering a new one, or at least a new insert.
« Last post by RonT on May 31, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
Removing the deck and re-installing it can be challenging and I do not recommend it, nor do I recommend using 3m5200 to caulk the joint, as 5200 is way too permanent. I simply take a utility knife and cut the old hull deck caulk out, repair the screws, and re-caulk. Wait a day for the hull.deck caulk to cure, then install the rubrail, once the rubrail is done to make a nice looking job I like to apply masking below and under the rubrail and fill the area between the tape lines with caulk, smear with my finger, then remove the tape leaving a nice clean filled area between the rubrail & hull side. Feel free to call if this doesn't answer your question. 
« Last post by Andrew on May 30, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
Two more questions....

Why not 5200?

Do I need to lift the deck off the hull to clean the old caulk out, and get enough  caulk in there? Seems like that would be easier as compared to digging it out, and then attempting to shoot new caulk straight up. Or am I making this more complicated than I need to?

Thanks.
« Last post by Andrew on May 30, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
I watched your video ( part 16) on this, but still confused when you say ‘reinstall the rub rail, then re-caulk the rub rail’.

That final bead of caulk, hard to tell at 15:07 of the video what is being caulked there ? Is that between the insert and the rub rail ? On the bottom?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]